Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I think she has dry blood on her bose for a couple of weeks?

Customer Question

I think she has dry blood on her bose for a couple of weeks ? Not sure if it is or not as its hard to get off
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She has had sloppy poo for a few weeks also
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help.

How old is your kitty?

Where is the dried blood on her nose? On the top or around her nostrils?

When you try to get it off with a damp cloth or paper towel, is there a reddish tint on the cloth/paper towel?

Does it seem to hurt her when you try to get it off?

Does she have any other symptoms, like sneezing, coughing or eye discharge?

Re: the sloppy poo, have you changed food lately, or does she like to eat things she finds around the house?

Otherwise, is she eating, drinking, urinating and playing as usual?

Is she an indoor/outdoor kitty or indoor-only?

Thanks for all your additional information. Once you send your reply, please allow me some time to review it and send your detailed answer.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, i tried to rub of with a damp white paper towel and cant see a red tinge but it is at the top and inside her nose. She is an inside cat mostly. She goes out the back but doest venture out of our very small backyard and is hopeless at catching any rodents, birds etc lol we have been giving her more dry food lately rather than wet food but diet hasnt changed massivly. She seems to be normal and not bothered by it but has been coughing up lots of furballs lately being winter i guess ? I thought she sneezed a couple of days ago but then coughed up a furball not long after. She is a very long haired cat. Thankyou
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also one thing i forgot it seems like ahe is always hungry. Meeowing for food and she never used to do that as much
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

If you don't think it's dried blood, it just might be dirt that sometimes gathers around the nostrils. Just gently try to soften it with the damp cloth until it starts coming off. If you're not making any progress, resist the urge to pick at it and have her seen by the vet for a definite diagnosis of what it is and why it's there.

If her poo has been loose for a few weeks, add some plain boiled rice to her canned food. Runny poo can be caused by intestinal parasites, so it would be advisable to have a fecal sample tested at the vet's. She may need a worming medication or intestinal antibiotic if she has an intestinal infection.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_parasite.cfm

----------

You can also add 1 tsp. plain, canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to a small amount of canned food in the morning and the evening. The beneficial fiber helps with both constipation and diarrhea.

A probiotic called Fortiflora for cats may also be helpful, as it's designed to help with diarrhea. Here is more information:

https://www.proplanveterinarydiets.com/products/fortiflora-cat/

------------

You can usually find it in pet stores or vet's offices or you can order online.

Feeding high quality canned food is healthier than dry, so try to feed her more of that. She can have small amounts of high quality dry food for 'grazing,' which cats love to do. Here is an interesting article written by a feline vet on how best to feed our cats:

http://catinfo.org/

---------

If she is a very long haired cat, brush and comb her twice every day, to remove 'dead' fur to decrease hairballs and yes, she could be shedding her undercoat, due to the season. You can give her some hairball gel like Laxatone or Petromalt or if you don't have those brands in your area, get what's available in your pet supply store. Follow directions on the box.

If she seems always hungry, she may be developing a thyroid issue like hyperthyroidism. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_hyperthyroid.cfm

-----------

She may not have all the symptoms, but a routine blood panel plus a thyroid Free T4 test at the vet's, will help to show if anything is not within normal limits.

I hope all will be well with your kitty!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition by the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm checking in with you to see how your furry girl is coming along and if you found my answer helpful. Please let me know here or rate my answer positively from the ratings box on your page. Thank you very much!

I hope you have had your girl seen by a vet and all is well, now.

Warmest wishes,

Cher