Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

There are small bugs around his cat food. I also found he

Customer Question

there are small brown bugs around his cat food. I also found he has fleas, which we are treating him for as well as the house. a friend said the bugs by his food are not fleas.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: HIs name is***** got flea shampoo for cats at the pet store and flea spray at his vets. he is 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hobbes?
Customer: He was just treated for eating his clay cat litter! His colon was filled with it and they had to give him enemas to get it out! we are giving him medicine 2x per day for it. What I am trying to figure out now, is what the little bugs by his food are
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 4 months ago.

My name is***** and I can help you this evening. The little bugs by the food are grain mites. They eat the carbs in the pet food. They are harmless by themselves, but they indicate that the food may be spoiled, poor quality or inappropriately packaged. I would recommend throwing away the bag of food that you have, clean the area thoroughly so there are no eggs left behind and start a new bag of food.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Were you able to get rid of the grain mites by replacing the food? Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda