Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Lost balance, seems confused and disoriented, She had a ear

Customer Question

Lost balance, seems confused and disoriented
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: She had a ear injury from a fight now a week later she lost balance
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Don't know her age she's been around about 3 years.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Topaz
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Topaz?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Topaz is acting so strangely. It sounds like she is an outdoor cat, correct?

What is she doing to look she lost her balance- is her head tilted to one side? Are her eyes bobbing side to side? Are her pupils the same size?

If she is a feral cat, will she let you examine her?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you and Topaz today,

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We moved into the house we live in now about three years ago. Topaze had been left by the people that lived next door. She did not have a home for about 8 months until we moved in so Yes she is mostly an outside cat. She stays in the garage area but has free range to come and go.Yes she is tilting her head and rubbing her ear. Her eyes look weak and she is shaking her head from side to side. Her eyes are also bobbing side to side. Just not her happy looking selfShe is not really a feral cat but she will not let you hold her to examine.

Okay. Thanks for the added information. It sounds like she may have an inner ear infection that may have spread from the external wound.

The best treatment for her would be antibiotics, but I know you said that she is difficult to handle. Do you think that you could catch her to take her to the vet. There is a great long acting antibiotic shot that they could give.

If you are not able to handle Topaz, can you at least bring her inside, like to the laundry room or garage where she can't injure herself and you can easily offer food, water and a litter box? If it is a bacterial infection, many cats can recover on their own if they are able to find shelter, food and water.

How is Topaz doing? Is her balance improving? Is she eating and drinking okay? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda