PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Female indoor cat. I think started today, she strains to go

Customer Question

female indoor cat. I think started today, she strains to go to the litter box and blood spots in the litter and around the house.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: ella, I don't know her age exactly because I took her in as a stray. I think she's about 8-10.
JA: How old is ella?
Customer: i believe about 8-10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about ella?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is she spayed?
2) Is this urine she's straining to produce or feces?
3) Does she have any history of illness?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Shes spayed. Can't tell if urinating or feces.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She hasn't been ill before that I know of

Most often when we see straining, it's urinary. In either case, it would be wise to have her examined and treated. This is most likely going to turn out to be a urinary tract infection. Most often your vet will want to collect a urine sample, test it for abnormalities and get her started on antibiotics. If needed, depending on what the urinalysis shows, your vet may also recommend a change in her diet. Your vet may also start her on an antispasmodic medication to help relax the muscles so she can urinate freely and medication for discomfort, as well, as these tend to be painful afflictions.

To make her more comfortable overnight, you can add a few drops of cranberry juice to her water or her food to help balance the pH of her urine. Try to keep her drinking as much water as possible and offer canned food for the increased fluid content. If at anytime she cannot urinate, she needs to be examined promptly by a veterinarian. This typically happens more often in male cats, but it can happen to females too.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: