Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have an 8 year old male cat who, other than a few

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old male cat who, other than a few infections in the past because of some fights, has always been in good health.
Two days ago he vomited, which didn't alarm us but then it continued. Last night he woke himself up numerous times and vomited.
He hasn't lost his appetite, He still eats but the vomiting is not relating to when and how much he eats. He can eat his normal food and have no issue, or he can eat some and bring it back up an hour later.
The only other things Ive noticed is yesterday he had a few very loud sneezes and his eyes are just a little runny..... not a lot, just a little sitting to the sides.
He is wanting to be very close, which for him different. Normally he will sit close at night but the rest of the time he will sit nearby but not right next to you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time that he had blood work performed with his vet?
2) Any changes in his urination and defecation habits?
3) Any changes in food or treats?
4) How are his stools?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He hasn't had blood work for a few years.
No changes that we've seen regarding toileting
Didn't eat dinner last night
Haven't seen any stools...... He goes outside.

At 8 years of age, he's old enough to benefit from some blood work especially now that he's starting to show signs of being unwell. At this age we worry about underlying issues where vomiting might be one of the first signs of problem such as kidney disease, liver disease, pancreatitis, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc. I would recommend doing this as a first step to ensure that he's healthy.

In the meanwhile, you will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. After giving this, wait 2 hours and then offer small amounts of either canned food or pureed baby food in flavors like chicken, turkey, etc. Start small and work your way up. You can use the pepcid as often as is needed to help prevent vomiting and calm the stomach.

Please let me know if I can help further.