Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I gave my cat his usual medicine (methimazole-gel), but I

Customer Question

Hi. I gave my cat his usual medicine (methimazole-gel), but I think I have given him a bit over his usual dosage.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: the spring in the syringe broke and so I eyeballed the dosage. About 15 after I gave him the medicine, he meowed in a growling kind of way and then urinated and opted on my daughter's bed. Then when he jumped off, he wobbled a bit, but then caught his balance 15 minutes
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Then about 10-15 minutes later he seemed to feel better and started purring when I pet him. Then it seemed he got a bit of a tummy ache and had a little diarrhea and a little drooling. He seems to be a little better, but is still breathing a bit rapidly.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he's 12 years old. He has thyroid issues, evidently, which is why he is on daily methimazole
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm sorry this happened with Phoenix. Regulating the thyroid with methimazole is a great, life-saving medication, but an overdose can manifest itself with the symptoms you described. While it's possible that this may pass, it's also possible that the reaction may continue and become dangerous.

There's not much you can do at home for this problem, so I would advise a visit to the vet, immediately. If it's now after hours for you and your vet doesn't have emergency hours, bring Phoenix to the nearest ER vet center to be evaluated and treated. His thyroid level will be checked to see how bad this reaction is, and then, it will be regulated again.

I hope all will be well with Phoenix!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how Phoenix is doing, today. Is everything back to normal or did you bring him to see the vet?

Please let me know if you found my answer helpful and how your furry boy is coming along. Thank you so much!

Warmest wishes,