Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 2 year old male cat is crying and hissing in pain.

Customer Question

My 2 year old male cat is crying and hissing in pain. Constantly licking his bottom. Not sure what is going on.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: His name is Shadow. I did attempt to call his vet, who is not taking emergency calls this evening.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about his?
Customer: Very healthy and happy cat.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Do you have video of him licking himself?
2) Have you noticed him dragging him back end on the carpet?
3) Frequent trips to the litter box?
4) When he licks, does he leave his legs together and come around over the top of his thigh, or does he attempt to lick between his legs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a video. No scooting on his rear. He does open his legs and lick over his thigh. He has been to the litter box multiple times and then is just lying around. Not his usual self.

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

I am concerned that Shadow may be blocked. By that, I mean that a small amount of sludge in the bladder has passed through the urethra to the tip of his penis and is keeping him from being able to urinate. This is a medical emergency as the bladder can rupture and toxins build up in the kidneys sending him into renal failure.

What I cannot tell you over the computer is whether or not this is truly an anal issue or not. A penile issues can present just like an anal issue as cats will groom all of their genitals and the area with the most pain. Most cats with anal gland issues or something to do with the anus do NOT hiss and cry out in pain. However, it is one of the most notable signs that a cat is blocked.

With this, I would err on the side of caution and seek out a medical facility that can see him overnight. If one does not exist in your area, he needs to be examined no later than tomorrow morning. Waiting until Monday may have a grave result.

I'll be standing by in case you have questions.

Checking in on your companion, Mr. Matthew. How is he today?