Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

She is only four years old and has had an oily coat on her

Customer Question

She is only four years old and has had an oily coat on her back for about a year. It is now in nasty clumps which she won't let me touch. She is also behaving strangely
Only coming home for meals and not always then. She was a rescue cat and although she want's to be loved she won't take more than about half a minute's petting before biting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tinkerbelle
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinkerbelle?
Customer: She put on a lot of weight over the last year and is now on a metabolic diet. She has lost a little bit of weight but it is coming off slowly. The greasy coat started when she was still slim though so it isn't that she can't reach to groom. She is very clean everywhere but her back.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry Tinkerbelle has this trouble.

Even though she is bit young for it she has the classic symptoms of a thyroid disorder.

If she eats mostly dry food that can account for overweight. Wet food has much less calories:

I would test her T4 and start her on wet food.

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?