petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

He is very suddenly drooling copius amounts. I have 2 other

Customer Question

He is very suddenly drooling copius amounts. I have 2 other cats who are fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sherlock and he is just over 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sherlock?
Customer: He is neutered. He is an indoors only cat. we just trested our basement with flea spray yesterday, but we kept the cats out of the area until late last night when the odor had cleared and everything was dry.
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Sherlock today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

What is the name of the product that you used to spray the basement?

Did the drooling start just today after they were allowed back in the basement?

Are his pupils dilated? Are there any tremors or agitation?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Precor was the product we used.
His pupils are dilated, and the drooling just started in the last hour or so. He was fine when I got home around 2 o'clock.
He didn't like me wiping the drool off his face, but otherwise doesn't seem agitated. I did not see any tremors.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He does not like having his wiped. His eyes are less dilated than they were. The drool was almost foamy just now.
Expert:  petdrz replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry for the delay, but I did not see that you had responded until now.

Looking up the product, I see that it does contain a permethrin, which cats do not tolerate well at all when used in higher concentrations topically, but the concentration of the premise spray is fairly low and if you waited to let it dry before allowing exposure, it would seem odd it would be from that. That being said, his reaction does sound like a mild version of the a flea product toxicity. Of course, there are other causes of drooling in cats which can include nausea or other GI upset, dental problems, or trauma, but the dilated pupils makes me think it is more likely chemical related.

As long as there are no breathing problems, tremors or seizures, it should be OK monitor at this point, especially since it sounds as if things may be getting better. I would looks around the house to make sure there is no evidence that he may have gotten into something else. I would also wash his feet in case he stepped in an area that may have had residual dried spray and then licked. it. You can administer benedryl, but giving oral liquid meds to a cat may exacerbate the drooling, just because they don't like it (especially if he didn't like you wiping his mouth).

I would keep a close eye on him and if any of his symptoms appear to be progressing instead of resolving, I would have him evaluated by your vet.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz