petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My 19 year old cat has a heart murmur. The vet said I should

Customer Question

My 19 year old cat has a heart murmur. The vet said I should look out for coughing which has occurred on two occasions recently. What would you advise me to do.Thank you. Christine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Christine?
Customer: She knows his health condition and said if he coughs it is serious so should I take him to see her, I mean at his age is there a treatment
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

It is possible that the cough and the heart murmur are not related, but it should definitely be evaluated. Cats can cough for various reasons, including cardiac and pulmonary disease, but since there is signs of possible cardiac disease, it warrants pursuing that as a possibility. When there is heart valve disease, the heart can become enlarged and as it progresses, can lead to fluid in the lungs, both of which can lead to a cough. There are medications that can help to control the fluid retention as well as to help the heart pump more effectively, so if heart disease is identified, there are things that can be offered to extend his quality of life time.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z