Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

He ran away for 3 weeks. We got a call from a neighbor that

Customer Question

he ran away for 3 weeks. We got a call from a neighbor that they thought he had been hit by a car and took him to the emergency vet. We went and picked him up and they didn't think he was hit by a car but had a major laceration under his arm. They sent us home with antibiotic and pain meds. Said he was also likely dehydrated
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is from bleeding a lot?
Customer: its been over a week now. He's not acting normal. His pupils are dialted....he wobbles....stares at the wall. hes not bleeding at all I keep cleaning the wound
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about from?
Customer: he wont use the little box...just wobbles around are room
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I am so glad you got your boy back!

Can you please tell me more aout him?

How old is he?

What food is he eating?

Any idea what caused the laceration?

Was he usinga litter box before he ran away or did he always eliminate outside?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is about 5 years old. Neutered and declawed in the front. We have him eating a combo of wet and dry food mixed together now and has no problem eating. I haven't seen him drink once since he's been home. I was using a syringe to give him water. He has always used a litter box. I had him on a pillow next to me last night and he just closed his eyes and laid he head back. it was weird. I honestly thought he died. I fell asleep with him next to me. I woke up at 3:30 this morning because he pooped. He never moved. I mentioned earlier that hes acting so strange. Dilated pupils. just staring at the wall or fan. he cant walk very good (its very wobbly). He has his whiskers and the vet said when we picked him up he was in good health and out of it because of the pain meds. He isn't taking anything now. Not sure what to do.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

What were the pain meds for?

Did he have dialated pupils before he took the meds?

Did the vet see that?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the pain meds were for the laceration under his arm. he did not have dilated pupils then. I just noticed his eyes yesterday.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Thanks so much. It is very possible the pain medication caused the dilated pupils. They also can depress the bowels and cause constipation.It can take a few days to wear off. Feeling loopy and wobbly is another side effect.

I would not let him go outside when he is in this condition because he could fall or walk into the path of a car.

As far as the laceration you can apply raw honey.

It is a remarkable healing agent:

Just paint to on several times a day. It will heal it right up and prevent infection.

Please let me know how he is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,