Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

My boy is going thru acute vomiting. Should I rush him to

Customer Question

My boy is going thru acute vomiting. Should I rush him to the ER vet? It's his third round of omitting since this afternoon.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Chumley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chumley?
Customer: Yes. He is very aggressive towards other cats. We bring in the colony at night then let him out
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I am so sorry about Chumley.

Is he passing stool?

Is the vomiting constant, or is it after trying to eat or drink?

Can you check and see if his gums are moist or tacky?

Could he have gotten into something or could someone have given him something to eat since he is ut at night?

How old is Chumley?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

I did not want you to wait and you have not responded to my information request, so I will give you an answer.

With acute vomiting, and not knowing the cause the cat should see the Vet asap. I am concerned of a Toxicity issue or a blockage in Chumbley. If he cannot keep fluids down, he can easily dehydrate and not able to keep food down just complicates the situation. Chumbley will need a shot to help control the vomiting as well as some fluids for hydration. These are things we cannot do at home because of the acute situation. With this being said, I do recommend that Chumbley go to the ER asap.

Joan