PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My cat can't jump up on anything any more. He eats, drinks

Customer Question

My cat can't jump up on anything any more. He eats, drinks elinminates OK, but can't jump.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tommy, age 6-7 yrs, neutered male.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tommy?
Customer: I took Tommy to the vet about 1 month ago, he was vomiting. They changed his food to id. Then, a week or so later I noticed he was unable to jump up nornally. I took him to the emergency - did xrays, etc and found no problem. However, they gave him anti-inflammatory for 3 days. Should have been OK, but last night Tommy tried to jump up on the cat tree and fell off.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Tommy eat anything unusual?
Customer: Don't have any house plants except for a "preserved" bonsai. He likes to chew on plastic, but I don't see any that's been chewed on.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Are you seeing any abnormalities in the way he walks?
2) Of which body parts did they take x-rays?
3) Did they find any abnormalities on his exam alone?
4) Was any blood work run at that time? If not, when was the most recent run?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1/he walks normally. however, he usually lays down after a few feet. Also, he used to sit up when he eats, now he lies down in front of his dish when he eats. 2/his back/bottom of his spine and legs. They were thinking arthritis, but none found Found lack of muscle tissue in his rear and upper legs. 3/no abnormalities 4/blood work done 3 weeks prior was perfect.
I'm now thinking that it could be the monthly Revolution treatment, which I gave him 3 wks to a month ago. Could he have a reaction to that?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They also did abdominal xrays - all were normal.

Thank you for your reply.

He could certainly have a reaction to the Revolution, but if he's been receiving this long-term this is unlikely. That said, it would not hurt to call the company and discuss adverse reactions to the medication to see if they have had anyone reporting the same concern with their cat or dog.

If your vet has been unable to find anything on x-ray and palpation and the NSAIDs haven't helped, I would ask about trying a few days of pain medication like buprenorphine or tramadol. If this does not work, I would then request to see a specialist to have more advanced testing done if you're wanting answers. An MRI may be indicated if they cannot find a neurological or other component that might explain his symptoms.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: