Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is walking gingerly and stumbles, almost falling.

Customer Question

My cat is walking gingerly and stumbles, almost falling. Jumped off the bed and lost his balance. Indoor cat, age approx. 18 yrs old. Eating fine and drinking water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I have seen
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Cujo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cujo?
Customer: Not liking litter box lately either
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm sorry Cujo is having this trouble. It's possible that he has vestibular syndrome which is usually caused by a problem with the inner or middle ear. The vestibular system regulates equilibrium and balance. It can also make him feel dizzy, so he's walking gingerly, afraid he'll fall over.

Another possibility is that he jumped down from a height, landed wrong and had a trauma to his vertebral spine, a disc or his legs or hips. This would require some imaging like an x-ray to check for any injury at the vet's office.

Not using the litterbox all the time may be related to his balance problem and he may have trouble getting in and out of the box due to that and/or arthritis. Try to get a box with lower sides, so he can get in more easily. Also, try Feliway plug in diffusers to help with the inappropriate elimination and any stress he may be feeling due to his balance problem.

Due to his senior age and the symptoms you describe, it would be advisable to have Cujo evaluated in person by a vet, asap for a diagnosis and then, treatment to help him feel more comfortable.

I hope all will be well with Cujo!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how Cujo is doing and if you need any additional information.

Were you able to have him seen by a vet, to determine the cause of his symptoms? If so, I hope it was something minor, he's being treated, and things are improving.

I hope you found my answer helpful and will provide a positive rating, as that is the only way the website recognizes me for my assistance. Thank you!

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please stop sending me emails. Cujo has passed away from renal failure and no your advice was not helpful!
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news about Cujo and send my heartfelt condolences. I know how devastated you feel, having gone through the loss of my own furry boy, not too long ago.

I only sent you one follow-up email to see how things were going and will not be sending any more; the site periodically sends emails on their own, which I didn't write, but, often signed with my name. I apologize for any inconvenience. If you want the emails to stop, please contact Customer Service at:***@******.***

My heart and best thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

Warmest regards,