PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Referral cat I feed in the winter I feed he was now fat. Now

Customer Question

Referral cat I feed in the winter I feed he was now fat. Now so super skinny all he does is cry to be feed. He was abandoned my husband won't let me bring any more in the house. Does he have worms
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I named him George I've been feeding him for about 3 years. The other 5 I feed seem healthy. George is the only one that comes to me. The others wait until I leave. The mom cat has a litter every time I turn around
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: George he was abandoned,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about George?
Customer: He would eat more if I would feed him more. No matter how much he eats u can still see his ribs
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is George neutered?
2) Has he had any vaccines?
3) How old is he roughly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1=no 2=no idea 3 = maybe 5 I've been feeding him for 2 years his mother died last winter same problem super fat, then super skinny
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No phone until im home in 2 days at(###) ###-#### No cell I live in the mountains

Since he's intact and you have a breeding queen in your midst, and the fact that his mother died from a similar affliction, I don't think you're dealing with worms at all. I would recommend a test for feline leukemia and feline aids. With your description, it sounds like one of the two of these is likely the culprit and my suspicion is feline leukemia. More information on both here:

You can certainly try a dewormer to see if this helps, but I think your money would be better spent on diagnostics. Without prompt care (and perhaps even with) George is likely to suffer the same fate as his mother. Dewormer is often available online or at a petstore. Your vet may also carry an OTC option.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in. How is your companion doing?