Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has a large bump behind his ear and we went to the

Customer Question

My cat has a large bump behind his ear and we went to the vet and he said that he has a 3rd degree ear infection which is the worst and said that they want to do surgery on him but he is 13 years old and doesn't seem to be in pain except for when he cleaned out the ear and I think he ruptured his eardrum. The surgery is expensive and we are giving him oral antibiotics.
Do you think the antibiotics will work and should be use it for a week or 2 to see if the infection goes away before we consider surgery?
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Did they tell you what the surgery entailed?
2) Is he having any symptoms at all like third eyelids raised, head tilt, shaking head, scratching at ears, etc?
3) What medication is being given/used?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They want to cut open the large bump and squeeze the pus and liquid out but he said it might cause damage to the nerve and could paralyze him. And he's not really having any symptoms. He scratches sometimes. And I don't know what the medication is called. It's an oral antibiotic