Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 18 year old cat will use the litter box to urinate but

Customer Question

My 18 year old cat will use the litter box to urinate but will mess outside the box and in several places in the house. I have to be careful every moring when I come from the second floor to the first. Her bowels are also loose. Nothing has changed in the home - use the same litter, etc. I have a tremendous amount of patience but am wondering if it is time to have her put to sleep.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Blackie - she came as a stray (so she could be older than 18). A remarkable story - I had another cat at the time and did not think I could keep her. Brought her to a rescue facility about 4 miles away - she escaped and appeared back at my doorstep - and has been here ever since. She is so comforting to me.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blackie?
Customer: I do not think so - Blackie does have a thyroid problem and takes medication for that. Otherwise she seems fine - eyes, hearing, etc. She is a small cat - only about 4 pounds.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Are you seeing lines of stool (like she's moving and doesn't realize its happening) or formed areas?
2) When did her stool become loose?
3) When was her thyroid last checked?
4) When did treatment for her thyroid issue begin?
5) Is she a rather small cat anyhow or is her tiny stature because of the hyperthyroidism?