Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My senior male cat has had continuos issues with sneezing

Customer Question

My senior male cat has had continuos issues with sneezing and congestion and sometimes bloody mucous. Vet has given steroid, antihistamine, antibiotic and usually this helps. Last night he started sneezing and blood is literally splashing out. I think the cat needs a new vet or specialist. Any ideas what I can do today and going forward.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Rogue and he is 16 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rogue?
Customer: He is still eating and drinking. Recently had senior bloodwork and had increased white cells and evidence if kidneys decining
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry Rouge is not feeling well.

Get him started on l-lysine.

Put 500 mg in his water or use these:

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,