Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

My cat has a red lump on his bottom lip. I just changed his

Customer Question

My cat has a red lump on his bottom lip. I just changed his food to one suggested by the pet store to help him lose weight and now I see this spot. In addition he also has a dark brown discharge from his eyes and nose.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: I just want my baby to be alright. I told my brother that something might be wrong but he just thought that cats just sneezed like that. He is also rather lethargic. His is also not eating as heartily as he usually does.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help. Without being able to see how big the red lump is, I suspect chin acne. This can look like whiteheads, blackheads or red zits on the chin. It can be brought on by allergic contact (some cats do well with stainless steel bowls, going back to the previous food you used). In clinic, I typically start an antibiotic to clear up the skin and discuss different food options.

As long as he is not completely boycotting food, you can wait until Monday or Tuesday, but I would recommend a hands on exam by your veterinarian (to make sure the red lump isn't something more than chin acne).

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is going on with his nose and eyes?

Dark brown discharge can be a few things. When the normal tear and nose fluid is exposed to air, it oxidizes turning brown. I have had allergy kiddos over produce that fluid. Now if the eyes or nose are irritated/red/swollen/having green/yellow discharge, then I'd be more concerned about an infection.

I am following up to make sure I have answered your questions. If so please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.