Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

I have a 3 week old kitten who has been having a sneeze and

Customer Question

I have a 3 week old kitten who has been having a sneeze and difficulty breathing since Monday. We have been to the vet and she is on antibiotics
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Mere
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mere?
Customer: She is still eating, but has to breathe with her mouth open and has been sneezing some milk bubble after eating.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Mere sounds like she has an upper respiratory tract infection. It is great that she is on antibiotics. She is likely breathing through her mouth because her nose is congested. You should take a warm, wet wash cloth and wipe her nostrils every few hours. You can put her in a small bathroom and steam the room up with a hot shower to help moisturize her airway. The good news is that she is eating! Make sure that you are stimulating her to urinate/defecate after each feeding by taking a warm, wet cotton ball and gently rubbing it over her genitals. She should urinate after each feeding and have a bowel movement at least every few feedings. Sounds like she is is good hands. Hope Mere is on the mend.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are doing all of this and she is peeing. She is maintaining her weight but not really gaining much. I am guess that is because she has to use so much to breathe. I am wondering if there is any sort of end in sight......this foster mama is exhausted. I guess I am thinking more viral at this point??

It is exhausting fostering such a young kitten. You are doing a great job and the reward will be when she is running around and eating solid food. You are absolutely correct about the viral component. Almost all upper respiratory infections start out viral and get a secondary bacterial infection, hence the antibiotics. Hang in there and take care. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!!

Your welcome and thank you for being a foster mom!!!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi. Would you mind rating my answer. Thank you.