Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 16y cat has had diarrhea since I adopted her 4mos ago

Customer Question

my 16y cat has had diarrhea since I adopted her 4mos ago
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has this cat had a fecal examination?
2) Has she had a fecal culture?
3) Does her stool have any blood in it?
4) Did she improve with the ID?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1 yes, #2 yes,it showed nothing, #3 no, #4 no

Did they tell you specifically what they tested for with the fecal culture? Do you happen to have copies of these so I can see what was and was not tested for?

What food was she eating in the shelter? Did she have this issue when she was adopted?

Have any medications been tried? GI antibiotics?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she was testes for parasits and worms, and I just found out she did have this issue in the shelter, I'm taking her to a local vet tomorrow. I think thats best

I think you're right. If you can get me additional information on testing I may be better able to help you determine what course of action to take to get past the diarrhea. There are lots of options that are available regardless of what is causing this. If the ID and GI antibiotics don't help, she certainly needs to be tested for tritrichomonas, giardia, etc. These are all commonly picked up in shelters. With that said, at 16 there's a decent chance that she could have inflammatory bowel disease and need a special diet tailored to her needs, if that is the case.

Let me know if I can help you further.