Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Cat pooped twice outside the litter box 5 days ago and is

Customer Question

Cat pooped twice outside the litter box 5 days ago and is now not pooping at all. She is not eating much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: She is 11 year old neutered female
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry Bella is having trouble.

Was the poop normal, hard or loose?

What foods does she eat?

any vomiting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was normal poop. Although my wife said she was howling 5 days ago when she went outside the litter box.Purina all natural indoor cat formula. No vomiting. She is behaving normal.I have noticed her sneezing
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Usually when a cat soils out of box, she is trying to communicate some type of distress to her human parents. The howling could indicate passing stools was painful. Bella may be slightly constipated.

Give her one to two ounces of whole milk. It is a natural laxative that will bring on a bowel movement within two hours.

If you prefer feeding her dry food instead of canned add salmon oil to keep her stool soft.

Sneezing is indicative of an upper respiratory infection or allergy.

She can have an antihistamine for either.

You can add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?