Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I was looking for some information about what might be

Customer Question

Hi! I was looking for some information about what might be causing my cat to "click" when he walks. it's been happening for a week or two, and it happens very often. He doesn't seem the least bit uncomfortable, nor is his diet affected.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of! he's an indoor cat. There's only so high he can go.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Finni. Approx 14.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finni?
Customer: He's not overweight. He seems very healthy overall, and is very happy.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has anything about his gait or the way he's standing/sitting changed?
2) Any recent spinal or hip x-rays?
3) Any history of injury or pain?
4) Are you hearing the clicking as he's walking? With the movement of each leg?
5) Is it all the time or random?
6) Do you have video to share of the clicking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
HiCustomer1) Has anything about his gait or the way he's standing/sitting changed? MW: Nothing seems to have changed with this gait, or the way he's standing/sitting
2) Any recent spinal or hip x-rays? MW: I haven't brought him to the vet yet. I'm trying this service before I do.
3) Any history of injury or pain? MW: No history or injury or pain. He's an indoor cat, and I work at home, so I'm able to keep a very close eye on him.
4) Are you hearing the clicking as he's walking? With the movement of each leg? MW: Yes, I hear the clicking as he's walking, and only as he's walking. (Not sitting or laying.) I can't determine where it's coming from though, his hips, or his feet. It's not his toenails clicking, because I hear the noise when he walks on carpet.
5) Is it all the time or random? MW: Random, but almost all the time. It started out of the blue, about 2 weeks ago.
6) Do you have video to share of the clicking? MW: I'll try to take a video! He's sleeping now and won't be up till about 4pm PST.

Thank you! There's no time limit on our discussion and I'll be sure to be on around 4pm PST to intercept the video when it comes through. Below are instructions:

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.