Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is now turning up her nose at eating pate food (solf

Customer Question

my cat is now turning up her nose at eating pate food (solf food), won't eat solid cat food. was looking for other soft food she might be interested in-she was eating the chicken beef and salmon flavor pates but now just the salmon - very weird.. I've been feeding her the cat milk and she's taking some methimozole. .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Molly and we think about 18
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: She's staying pretty much in one area, she'll take stairs down to her litter box but not going upstairs as much. was trying to get her to eat more as she's still on thin side.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be pleased to assist you and Molly.

First, I have some questions:

When was Molly diagnosed as hyperthyroid?

What dose of methimazole is she taking per day?

Are you putting the medication in her food?

When did she start refusing the paté food?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Has she been seen by her vet recently, for blood work?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to read through your information, compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I was hoping to hear back from you, but I need to sign offline soon, so I will send my answer now, and if you need any additional information, just click reply.

Hill's Science diet makes a prescription food called y/d for hyperthyroid cats. Sometimes, cats don't need the methimazole if they eat this food, but that will need to be discussed with your vet.

In general, any soft food by a major company, that is high in protein and low in carbohydrates is good for hyperthyroid cats. Wellness CORE is high in protein and I used to feed it to my hyperthyroid cat that was also diabetic.

It may be necessary to have Molly's blood tested to see her thyroid levels and her medication may need to be adjusted.

Don't mix the medication in with the food, or that may be what's putting her off the food. If you can get some plain jarred baby food chicken containing NO onion or garlic, like Beechnut Stage 1 Chicken, crush the medication with the back of a metal spoon and add it to a tablespoon of the baby food and either feed it to her with your finger or put it on a flat small plate or in her bowl; if she likes the taste, you can offer more baby food. Since it's only chicken, it's full of protein. However, this can't be her only diet, because she needs the nutrients in cat food to maintain her health.

She may have trouble climbing the stairs now, because she's a senior, she may have a touch of arthritis and hyperthyroidism causes muscle wasting. Try to keep all her 'essentials' on one level of the house, where she doesn't have to climb stairs, like her food/water and litterbox.

If she hasn't seen the vet in a while for a check on her thyroid level, that should be your first step, in addition to finding a high quality wet food which is high in protein and low in carbohydrates.

I hope all will be well with your Molly!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,