Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Sort of a story... but in sum... my cat (whom I have since

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Sort of a long story... but in sum... my cat (whom I have since birth) is a very feral type of cat.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?
Customer: She doesn't allow you to do anything to her... washing, trimming, impossible... combing occasionally...
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: she has long hair and is matted on her rectum...
JA: OK. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I managed to cut some yesterday, but she is now covered in feces and won't let me touch her
JA: Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: Amber, 4 years
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: She obviously needs to be cleaned, but I don't know how to do this without being attacked. I've tried a towel in the past, and since then, she cannot even be caught and wrapped
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: no
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

At some point with feral-acting cats, we have to understand that the risk to ourselves is greater than our ability to aid our pet. Once this point had been reached, its time to take her to the vet to have her sedated, if necessary, and the trimming/cleaning performed under sedation by the veterinary staff. They are much better equipped to deal with cats that are aggressive than we are at home, as owners.

In this case, it's no different. Because you have already reached your maximum capacity to groom her at home, it's time to have a veterinarian get involved. If you are unable to obtain her and get her into a kennel, consider looking for a mobile veterinarian in your area that may be better able to come into your home and obtain her. If this is needed it would be ideal to contain her to a bathroom or similar room where there are few places to hide so the staff is able to find her and help her without searching in hiding places.

Let me know if I can help further.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion?