Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has been having diarreha everyday at times she pants

Customer Question

My cat has been having diarreha everyday at times she pants heavily at times today she refuses to use her litter box is she getting close to having her kittens
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your kitten?
Customer: Shes also cleaning her self more also
JA: Where does your kitten seem to hurt?
Customer: More like she uncomfortable no matter where she lays shes been doing this all day
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Santa paws
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Santa?
Customer: Shes not a year yet not until november
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If she is getting close to having her kittens what can i do to help her
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

Congratulations on Santa paws (REALLY cute name! : )) impending litter! She really got pregnant very soon after she went into heat!

Do you know how many days pregnant she is?

Is she eating and drinking as usual?

What do you feed her?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I was hoping to hear back from you with some additional information, but it's getting close to the time that I must sign offline, so I'll send your answer, now.

If Santa paws is close to giving birth, this can account for her diarrhea and licking herself excessively. The fact that she can't find a comfortable position is natural, as the kittens are getting bigger, now.

For the diarrhea, you can add some plain, cooked white rice to plain, boiled chicken breast--put it in the food processor with some water. She should be eating a high quality kitten food, first, because she's a kitten and second, because she's pregnant. Instead of rice, you can also add 1 tablespoon of plain baby food pumpkin or sweet potatoes to her food. Make sure the baby food does not contain any onion or garlic products; actually, it should only contain pumpkin or sweet potato and perhaps some water for processing. Beechnut Stage 1 foods are good ones.

You can get some Fortiflora for cats from your vet and sprinkle that over her food; it's a probiotic supplement and recommended for diarrhea. Here is more info:

About 24 hours before labor begins, a cat usually stops eating altogether, so don't be alarmed if this happens.

If you haven't yet, set up a good 'nesting' place for her and associate her with it, so it feels familiar. It could be a large, but shallow cardboard box, a laundry basket, or any place you feel she'll feel calm and not stressed. Place the nesting box in a quiet, dim area, like the floor of a closet or the corner of an extra bedroom. Line the nesting area with some old fluffy towels or blankets and put some layers of newspaper on top, so you can remove layer by layer as it becomes messy while she's delivering. She might want you with her or she may want to be alone, but it's important that you stay with her if it doesn't upset her, so you can see that everything is going fine. When each kitten is born, she should lick the clear sac it's in, to break it open and allow the kitten to breathe; if she doesn't do this, you will need to. Also, she should eat each placenta as it is delivered after each kitten; there should be a placenta following each kitten. Here is more information on what to expect during her pregnancy, labor and delivery and how you can help if certain conditions exist:

Make sure she's drinking enough, so she doesn't get dehydrated from the loose stools.

I hope all will be well with Santa paws and she delivers a beautiful, healthy litter!

Please keep me posted, if you can! Thanks.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,