Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

He is missing part of his left hind leg and it seems like he

Customer Question

He is missing part of his left hind leg and it seems like he is having spasms. He will shake his leg and he's been moaning when this happens. He is almost 12 and this has just started happening.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No he hasn't fallen.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Parker
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Parker?
Customer: He is a rescue cat that we got when he was 1 1/2. They are not sure how he lost part of his leg.He is normally a playful,active cat but right now he is hiding in the corner.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When was part of the limb lost?
2) Are you able to attach pictures of the area?
3) Can you also share video of the spasms you're seeing?
4) When did they start?
5) Is he able to walk?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know when the part of the limb was lost. We adopted him when he was 1 1/2. Yes he can walk. He is hiding in a corner and I cannot get to him. He has a normal appetite and what I think are spasms just started.

There is no time constraint. I can wait for video when he's no longer in a corner.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He just keeps pulling up the rest of his hind leg and it twitches every so often, it is not a constant thing. He is missing the lower part of his hind leg.He can lay on that side and he doesn't act like it hurts.

Groaning can be a sign of pain, as can the twitching. Sometimes the loss of a limb can cause deeply seated phantom pains, so if this continues I would recommend having him examined. As well, at 12 years of age, he may have arthritis and a physical exam being performed as well as x-rays can determine if there is where his pain is coming from. If you wish to start him on some preventive therapy, there is glucosamine available for cats, as well. available here:

nother thing to mention is that there are no OTC pain medications that are safe for cats, so please avoid giving anything from home to Parker. This can cause life-threatening liver and kidney problems.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

Happy to help. Good luck!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Taking him to the vet now.The twitching is getting worse and he just has a look of discomfort.

Good plan! Let me know if you need any more assistance.