Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I was given a 50 mg tablet of Dexamethasone and told to

Customer Question

HI I was given a 50 mg tablet of Dexamethasone and told to crush and divide it by four and give one quarter to my 13yr old cat as a temporary relief for what appears to artists or joint pain in his front rh leg. (Lame and limping) Can i give this quartered amount twice a day or just once a day? As the vet translator was not very clear as I dont speak his language and the dosing was somewhat lost in translation. Chubby the cat will receive an x ray tomorrow in the morning for farther diagnosis of his pain in front r/h leg.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: no id di not mean to his send yet he has been getting slower on the stairs and reluctant to jump over the last year and is showing signs of arthritis as the best i can tell
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Chubby male 13yrs 4.5 kg
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: almost 10 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: was 15 lbs last year and now is 10 lbs. so lost weight in the last year but has been more active the before. He is an indoor cat only
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry Chubby hurt his leg.

The medication you were given

Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid that reduces inflammation.

Read more here:

https://www.vetinfo.com/dexamethasone-for-cats.html

It should only be given once a day until the ray tomorrow. Then Chubby will be scripted a daily dose with a weaning schedule as it is unsafe to stop the medication abruptly.

have the DVM write down the scripted dose. Then we can interpret if there is a language problem.

I hope Chubby feels better very soon.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your answer.Robert
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Dear *****,

You are more than welcome. It was my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.