Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat also has a hard lump under her chin. She's had a

Customer Question

Hi dr Scott -
My cat also has a hard lump under her chin. She's had a history of a swollen lip but hasn't had one in a while. Her mood and appetite are normal. She doesn't seem bothered at all. We've spend so much on her lip issues and the dr did a biopsy and it was fine. Any idea what it could be ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Hi Sarah

Do you want to wait for Dr. Scott?

I can send him your question if you wish

does Lily have an eosinopilic granuloma?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi thanks for forwarding the question to dr. Scott. Hmm it's never been diagnosed that way so I looked up photos and when her lip is swollen it does look kind of like the photos but that hasn't happened lately. Her chin is just swollen and hard and the top of the chin under the mouth is kind of red. Not nearly as red as the photos I saw when I googled.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll try to send a picture later
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

It sounds like she has an abscess on her chin. Apply very warm, almost hot compresses to get it to open and drain. That will relieve the pain.

You can apply raw honey to any sore or irritated areas. It is a remarkable healing agent:

For the eosinophilic granuloma one shot of depo medrol should clear it up.

Please let me know how she is doing.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm unsure if it's an abscess tho as it feels a bit deeper and is under the fur. Here's a photo of her today as you can see the chin is just kinda puffy and raw the actual lump is under her chin under the fur
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Thanks so much for your reply and the great pic.

Definitely looks like an abscess. Apply an almost hot, damp compress 5 minutes on and ten off for an hour. After it opens and drains apply the honey.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay thank you for your help I'll try this evening. If I have any trouble can I continue to contact you ? I really hope it will drain - it's not deathly is it ?
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

No,is not at all deadly.

You are welcome to contact me as many times as you wish at no additional charge.

However, I leave at 5:30 eastern time. For an additional $5 I can give you my phone number and you can call me after hours

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I'll be taking care of it Sunday morning as I work all weekend and want to have the days after to be with her and make sure she's okay. Thanks so much for all your help I will keep you updated ! <3
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Please keep me posted on her recovery.

Best wishes for her,