Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I have a two year old Siamese cat Lily (and another six year

Customer Question

I have a two year old Siamese cat Lily (and another six year old car) we gave a dose of .047 fl. oz. of 54% Etofenprox to treat flea issues. She kept shaking her leg, looked lethargic, didn't eat or drink very much for the first day (normally she's extremely active). My other cat did not experience any issues. We washed Lily in case it was the flea application; do you think she has some kind of toxicity or major sensitivity here? She's been walking away very slowly but eating and drinking tiny amounts.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Dear Dalu,

I am sorry this happened. Lily mot definitely has a sensitivity to insecticide so I would never again use such product on her.

It is good you washed it off but because it is absorbed through the skin it can take a few days to completely leave her bloodstream

Feed her as much food as she will eat to dilute the product in her blood.

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

For natural, safe flea control use skin so soft by Avon.

Diatomaceous earth or fleabusters RX powder.

Get it at a garden shop or online:

Please let me know how Lily is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

how is Lily doing?

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.
Hi Dalu,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?