Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is 3 and has a fever of 104. All his blood work is

Customer Question

My cat is 3 and has a fever of 104. All his blood work is fine. Nothing showed in ultrasound or x-rays. What do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Maximus
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maximus?
Customer: No
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry Maximus is not feeling well.

Is he eating and eliminating normally?

Any symptoms of illness?

Indoor kitty?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Indoor only. Ate today
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

A cats temp runs from 100 - 102.5, hotter than us So a fever of 104 is comparable to 102 in a human.

If his bloodwork was unremarkable, the infection could be due to a bad tooth or ear ache.

Maximus should be scripted a broad spectrum antibiotic like clavamox or clindamycin for 10 consecutive days.

That will clear out any infection unless it is an abscessed tooth. If so, it would need to be removed.

Check all over his body for a small wound that could be infected.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let him lap it up for hydration. If he does offer some tuna.

Offer smelly foods like fancy fast and baby food with no onion or garlic

Please let me know how he is doing.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kindest regards,

Terri