Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

How do I make injectable saline solution for sick puppy,

Customer Question

How do I make injectable saline solution for sick puppy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?
Customer: Parvo
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: I want to give saline under skin for dehydration. I've done it before, but wanted to make home solution. My vet said to boil water and salt. I needed to know what mix
JA: OK. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: What mix for saline to inject for dehydration
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: Parvo, lm giving Meds but out of saline. Vet said salt and water boiled 15 min. How much salt to 8 oz water
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

You can't do this and make a sterile solution at home. You'll have to get it from a vet or from a human pharmacy. I would just go to a human pharmacy and ask for LRS (lactated ringers solution). If you use table salt (sodium chloride) in water, you'll end up with an acidic solution that will sting and not be balanced. You really want to use a balanced solution like LRS or Normosol or Plasmalyte.

When you do get something, you can give 10 mL per lb body weight 1-2 times daily for a good 3-7 days. Most places cell these ~ $10 per liter.

You also want to make sure you're giving pedialyte or Gatorade and some canned food by mouth. The only way for the intestinal cells to heal is to get nutrients down orally. You usually have to syringe feed from home every 4 hours to keep food in. They'll vomit a lot of it, but you have to keep with it.