Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Fluid in belly. She still eats and drinks. Not lethargic at

Customer Question

Fluid in belly. She still eats and drinks. Not lethargic at all. She is 6 years old. No fever, the vet said. Vet couldn't see anything in xray. Because of fluid. What if they drain then xray? She was throwing up a lot 3 weeks ago. Lost a lot of weight. What do you think?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She is a sphinx cat
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

I would definitely tap the fluid and try to get an idea on what the cause is. If the fluid is low in protein, then it may be due to a heart condition, low blood protein levels, liver failure or intestinal malabsorption. If it's high in protein, then it's likely due to cancer, a ruptured organ in the abdomen or FIP (feline infectious peritonitis).

There is not really a "good diagnosis" to give her of something that is fixable or curable. Given her age, FIP is less likely. Cancer is probably the most likely given the weight loss, normal appetite and fluid build up. Also, given that she's an exotic breed there are higher incidences of cancer in these cats.

I would tap the fluid and then consider x-rays and ultrasound to try to get a diagnosis.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.