Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.
16881297

I think it has breathed in milk I was trying to feed it.

Customer Question

I think it has breathed in milk I was trying to feed it. Abandoned at 2 days old. Umbilical cord still attached. It is now crying at every breath
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: No name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: I just rescued it (there are 2) from a neighbour's gutter
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Help quick. I think it is in its death throes
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are times when trying to feed such a young kitten that they can aspirate some of the milk and this will cause them problems. There is nothing that you can do about this and it certainly is not your fault....it just happens when they are so young and usually will be sucking on their mother. If she survives this, then make sure to not give cows milk but use a kitten milk replacer available at the pet store. They will have baby bottles so they can nurse on this as if it was their mom. Forcing milk into such a tiny kitten is not a good idea....if she will not suck, only dribble some of the milk replacer into her mouth hoping that she can swallow this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anyway I can help clear the lungs? What position to keep it in etc?

hang her upside down so the excess milk can come out rather than going in further into her lungs. Patting on her sides a few times may help as well. Try this to see if you can decrease the amount going into her lungs.