Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Her urine has a color to it but it is also a yellow color

Customer Question

Her urine has a brown color to it but it is also a yellow color when I clean it up. She was using her litter box and just the past few days she has been peeing in my floor. It is dry or anything just has a brown color to it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: Her urine has a brown color to it but it is also a yellow color when I clean it up. She was using her litter box and just the past few days she has been peeing in my floor. It isnt dry or anything just has a brown color to it
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem to hurt anywhere.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kansas and she is probably about 4 months old. We rescued her and she has had her shots and been fixed and all that
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kansas?
Customer: I don't think she is drinking much water.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your question about Kansas.

The brownish color to her urine indicates blood is present. This can be caused by various underlying medical conditions like a urinary tract or bladder infection, bladder stones or crystals, injury or trauma, or poisoning, just to name a few.

If she is going to the litterbox frequently, but not much is coming out every time, this is a symptom of a urinary tract infection. However, she could have an infection and not show any symptoms yet, besides the brownish color of her urine.

If she is not drinking much water, she could be dehydrated and that, plus the brown urine could indicate a serious medical problem that needs to be diagnosed by a vet, as soon as possible.

Because she's so young, it would be best to have her seen by a vet at an ER animal hospital, if your regular vet is closed now. The vet will do a urinalysis and some blood work, in addition to a hands-on physical exam, to determine the problem. Once she is diagnosed, she will be prescribed the most appropriate treatment.

I hope all will be well with Kansas, and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, because that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher