Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat is eating but not drinking water, I don't know what's

Customer Question

Hello. My cat is eating but not drinking water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I don't know what's wrong with her
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: She just recovered from feline distemper.. And was hospitalized.. And this morning she was caughing as if she would throw up but nothing comes out
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: She ate yes but isn't drinking water
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry your cat was so ill but glad she recovered.

What food is she eating? Is it canned food?

When did she drink last?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please also note that a month ago he suffered from bad breath and thick saliva and when ibtoom him to the vet he said he have tooth cavities he put him an anibiotics and a week latter I took him to hospital and they said he had feline ditemper and his cbc was as low as 0.66 only. They did an xray and said his heart is small and might not survive the virus and he did.. Yesterday he ate and drank water just fine but today he refused dry food and eventually only ate wet food and not a drop of water.. And he seems low in energy and also the vomit like caugh with nothing out and the sneezing with no eye discharge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sure.. Let me know if you need more info.Oh.. My cat is make and he is only 9 month old
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Forget about dry food for the time being.

Wet food contains 60% water so he will not drink as much as he would if he ate dry food.

Between his dental issues and cough/cold he will do much better on wet food.

He may have a sore throat and difficulty smelling well.

Rub a drop of honey into his gums. It will raise his blood sugar and sooth his throat. Repeat every 4 hours.

Drain the water from a can of people tuna into a bowl and see if he will lap that up for hydration.

You can also add a tablespoon of warm water to a can of food.

For sneezing, he can have an antihistamine:

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how he is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. I spoke to his vet and she said he might be getting a flue and she prescribed him an antibiotic called azithromycin suspensim 200g/5no
And asked me to give him 0.5 twice a day for 7 days..Is this the same as you have him ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But I'm having your 2nd opinion because here in Saudi they don't care about animals.. So I need to know what to do.Is what my cat have now serious or life threatening..How long do in give him your perception for?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what about his throwing up- like symptoms ? Is that med going to cure it ?
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

You are more then welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!

athithromycin is an antibiotic that cures a bacterial infection.

He is on the standard dose so you should see positive results after 4 doses.

He needs to take that for the full 7 days.

The ones that I recommended are antihistaimines. They just relieve symptoms of congestion.

Fortunately, your cat does NOT have a life threatening illness now. Distemper was but thank God he beat that.

This is more like a cold or sore throat.

Give honey for 4 days. Only give antihisamine if he continues to sneeze.

If he throws up give pepcid:

Give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.Every 12 hours.

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.

If he is just coughing and NOT vomiting, give honey.

If you need anything along the way just reply and I will always be here for you

Best wishes and prayers for him,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much doctor.. You've been a great help.. I bleive is natural meds allot. O will give him the antibiotics and what you recomended.
Thank you very much again.Thank you
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

You are more than welcome.

I believe in natural meds too!

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I will still be here for you at no additional charge.

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?