Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Older cat twitches his back, Ries 13 yr we now have a new

Customer Question

older cat twitches his back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ries 13 yr we now have a new kitten that someone left in our bushes and ries has been upset with us
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ries?
Customer: no
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

Was Ries twitching his back before you got the new kitten?

Does he have any other symptoms, like trying to bite his back and/or tail, take off running for no reason?

Is he eating, drinking and eliminating normally?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Cher

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No other problems
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hello again, and thanks for your helpful reply.

The twitching of Ries' back may be due to a neurological condition called feline hyperesthesia syndrome. It's often called the' skin twitching' or 'skin rippling' syndrome. It's likened to a type of seizure. Your regular vet should see him in person and might refer you to a veterinary neurology specialist, if necessary. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm

-------------

Sometimes, the skin twitching can be brought on by stress, so that could be exacerbated re: the addition of the new kitten. Get some Feliway plug in diffusers; these emit cat calming pheromones that have no scent to humans, only cats detect it, and it's great for new introductions.

http://www.feliway.com/us

---------

I don't know how you first introduced them, but this webpage has some good tips and techniques for new cat introductions:

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

----------

I hope all will be well with Ries!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher