Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

We found a stray kitten and took it with us and drove home.

Customer Question

We found a stray kitten and took it with us and drove home. Shortly after arriving home 30 min, she started to vomit orangish redish chunks with clear vile. She seemed lathargic and drooping eyes. She wasn't eating but drinking water. Large bowl movement when she had one but recently just started to eat, her stomach is sensitive to the touch and might seem slightly bloated
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray kitten?
Customer: I don't know how many weeks she is? Maybe between 10-12 weeks? Otherwise I don't know anything else?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

Bless you for rescuing this poor furbaby!

While it's good that she ate and had a bowel movement, the vomiting of the red and orange chunks, plus clear liquid is troubling. Since she was surviving outside, she could have eaten something that was poisonous or not made for ingestion. She could have been born with a serious medical condition that needs to be treated, like distemper (panleukopenia), or FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis), which are usually fatal, but sometimes can be cured if treated aggressively and early enough.

Because she's so young and you know nothing about her past health conditions, it would be advisable to have her seen in person by a vet as soon as possible. If your vet is closed now, you can take her to an ER vet center for evaluation, diagnosis and treatment.

If you have any other cats, keep her separated from them, since you're not sure of her health status.

I hope all will be well with this little one!

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello again, Customer.

I was just checking in with you to see if you found my answer helpful and how your little stray kitten is doing. Were you able to bring her to the vet and find out the cause of her symptoms, then have them treated? I hope so!

I hope she's doing much better now, and I would appreciate it if you could please let me know and also let me know if you found my answer helpful.

Thank you very much; I'll await your reply.

Warmest wishes,