Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My 15-year-old cat has both hyperthyroidism and kidney

Customer Question

My 15-year-old cat has both hyperthyroidism and kidney diagnosis. I'm trying to find a food to feed him that will help him gain weight and do support his kidneys is there anything like that out there?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Otis
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Otis?
Customer: He is diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and renal trouble. He's on kidney and hyperthyroid holistic support and he is losing weight.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 4 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Otis has both hyperthyroidism and renal disease. This is a common problem in old kitties and there are several options out there for treatments.

First, have you considered treatment for the hyperthyroidism with the medication called Methimazole? This drug suppresses the function of the tumor cells in the thyroid gland. It can be tapered to partially control the hyperthyroidism and still support kidney function.

If that is not an option, there is a diet made by Hill's called Y/D. This diet is very restricted in Iodine and therefore reduces the amount of thyroid hormone the diseased gland can produce. This diet is also protein restricted so it supports renal function as well.

Unfortunately, this diet is not the tastiest, so some cats won't eat it. The next best choices are the renal support diets. Royal Canin, Hill's and Purina all have various recipes that you can try to see which one she likes best. They all are basically the same formula, though, reduced protein and phosphorus and increased potassium are their primary features.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is Otis? Were you able to find a food that will be suitable for his nutritional needs? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda