Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I rescued some new born kittens. they are 4 1/2 weeks old

Customer Question

I rescued some new born kittens. they are 4 1/2 weeks old now, I've had them 4 weeks. their baby teeth are coming in, one that is normally very active and eats very well, is lethargic today. belly is hot and she is shivering sometimes. not eating as well. could this be from the teething?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Jere
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jere?
Customer: She's been eating fine and very active. Chewing on the syringe feeder more than sucking up until today.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Bless you for caring for and saving these babies!

It is possible Jere has a fever. Could be from teething. She may be hypoglycemic.

Rub a drop of syrup or honey into her gums to raise her blood sugar.

If she has a fever over 103 (normal is 100 -102.5) apply a cold compress (not ice) to her tummy and pads.

Make a gruel of canned kitten food by adding warm water - they will be messy at first but the sooner they begin eating,,the better.Now that they have teeth do not use a bottle because they could bite off piece of nipple.

Please let me know how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She definitely had a fever. She passed away early this morning.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

Awww, I am so very sorry to hear such sad news.

How are the other 3 babies?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did originally have 4 kittens. One little girl passed at 1.5 weeks, 3 weeks ago. There are 2 little boys left. They seem fine.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

That is GREAT, the ones that passed probably had genetic abnormalities.

Now that they are getting teeth and almost ready to be weaned feed them a gruel of diluted canned kitten food.

They will need to eat three good meals a day in order to grow and thrive.

If you need anything at all I will be here for you so please do not hesitate to call on me.

Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?