PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat ate my blood pressure pill this morning. It is a

Customer Question

My cat ate my blood pressure pill this morning. It is a water pill called Tensoflux or Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg. Up to 8 can be taken by humans per day. He ate it about 5 minutes ago. He is a 2 year old 7 kilogram cat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Tensoflux will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tensoflux?
Customer: It is a diuretic. I will carefully check his urine throughout the day.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to one reached out to you sooner. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

There is a wide margin of safety with this medication and we would not expect to see any poor outcome from this ingestion. Plan to keep lots of water down over the next 24 hours and expect him to be urinating quite a bit and probably also drinking quite a bit.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800