Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Blood in Urine for months, took Vet 3 times. Been on Stress

Customer Question

Blood in Urine for months, took Vet 3 times. Been on Stress relieving food only, 2 different antibiotics and a crystal pill at first because I had not been able to get a sample. With the sample it was determined that it was not crystals. This is continuing to get worse. Last night I came home to my bathroom floor with 9 different spots of blood (Bright Red) all about the size of a dollar bill. I took 2 Pics and sent to vet. She said still is most likely inflammation but is taking him off the antibiotic and putting him on a antidepressant. I would like a second opinion. Simba is 13. Is eating well, Drinking and playful usually, but last night seemed tired. Still doesn't act like he is in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Simba. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simba?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I cannot afford a lot of tests.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry your boy has this trouble. It sounds like interstitial cystitis which is an inflammation of the bladder.

Read more here:

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/urinary/c_ct_bladder_inflammation_feline_interstitial_cystitis

Esteemed authorities believe this is caused by dry food.Please read articles written by a feline vet:

www.catinfo.org

The danger with a male cat is that he could block. That would be a life threatening EMERGENCY! At this point Simba should be fed wet food ONLY and be scripted anti-inflammatory medication.

He can have 3 drops of cranberry juice every day for ten days (by dropper) to change the PH of his urine.

Up his fluid intake to flush out his bladder.

He may need to eat a renal diet. If so, it should be a wet version like Royal canin.

Please let me know how Simba is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri