Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

She has lost 5 pounds over several months. She has had a

Customer Question

She has lost 5 pounds over several months. She has had a full work up, not DM, or thyroid; She's horrible at the vet. Shes not a young cat, but is now throwing up every thing despite her famotidine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. I am interested in hospice services.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Dahlia 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dahlia?
Customer: Nope. just the weight loss and throwing up. Steroids didn't work, tried that for several months, and now Pepcid isn't working. I am looking into euthanasia at home.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Dahlia. In a situation where the initial work up ruled out diabetes mellitus, chronic renal disease, and hyperthyroidism - the concern goes towards cancer then. Sometimes it can be a very big challenge to find it and identify it. Lymphoma is a typical one of cats and it can be in the intestinal tract where the diagnosis is made most of the time by intestinal biopsies. Sometimes ultrasound evaluations will show certain layers being thick in the intestinal tract too to give further suspicion of that. I'm assuming that your vet was suspect of lymphoma as the use of prednisolone (a steroid) was started up to see how it would help. If she's not doing well as far as her quality of life, then the situation gets moved to one where further testing is needed or possible that quality of life decision. I know you questioned at home euthanasia and this is definitely something that certain veterinary clinics / mobile clinics do offer. You could talk to your vet and see if this is something that they can provide. There really aren't any safe / humane ways for an owner to let their pet go at home.