PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Vet said enlarged liver. We had to buy milk thistle

Customer Question

Vet said enlarged liver. We had to buy milk thistle capsules. Vet didn't have medicine to give her...had to order. We gave her the milk thistle today with her food. Is there any food we can fix to help her? We got milk thistle from a health store. No pet stores nearby.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: We call her Mommy Cat...she come here to eat, then she brought her babies to me one at a time...3 total...still have one. She is about 10 years old
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mommy Cat
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She had infection in her gum about a month ago. Vet gave her an antibiotic shot. Said her liver count was elevate a little. She eats good.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Unfortunately, when it comes to liver disease there is often nothing that can be done to "fix" a pet. Milk thistle helps to protect the liver from toxins and is believed to help regenerate liver cells. Given long term this can help slow the progression of liver disease, but it will never eliminate it totally, I'm afraid. Your best bet is to keep giving her the milk thistle and you may wish to consider a switch to a liver disease specific food like Hill's LD for cats. This comes in both wet and dry forms and your vet probably sells it (also available at Petsmart). That said, if she's still eating at different places outside the usage of such a pricy food is probably not going to be recommended.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?