Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She keeps laying around, not active. She is playful for a

Customer Question

She keeps laying around, not active. She is playful for a bit but goes back to laying around. She does have an appetite and is drinking. But she feels warm to the touch. He eyes seem to be distant also no sparkle.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: She is 1 year old
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Lily
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?
Customer: She seems to lay around a lot on the bathroom floor which is tiles
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

In a young cat with lethargy, I would guess you're dealing with a fever. The laying on cold tiles also fits with a fever. Without any upper respiratory signs (sneezing, ocular discharge), it's most likely Calicivirus. This is a common virus that can cause a fever and joint pain. These cats/ kittens are lethargic and reluctant to move around much.

Most will resolve on their own over a few days. I do like to use an antibiotic in case of any secondary bacterial infection. I also like to use Onsior or Metacam- these are anti-inflammatories that help to get the fever down faster. You could get those from a vet.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But what causes it. And shes been like this for a week or so. But today is when i notice she is warm
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry for that wait. I got called away for an emergency. The cause is a virus. We usually don't know how they get exposed, as it's a common virus in the environment.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?