Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

She has scabs all around her neck and bottom and different

Customer Question

She has scabs all around her neck and bottom and different places on her body. And is losing hair.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lucy she is 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: When I first got her she was eating cheap food. So I switched her to Purina one it's in a green bag. And that started to help but now it just seems worse. It seems when i put flea treatment on her it get's worse also. One time she started foaming at the mouth after the flea treatment.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry Lucy has this trouble.

This is an allergic reaction called Miliary dermatitis. It is not contagious, hence other cats are unaffected.

You can apply raw honey to any sore or irritated areas. It is a remarkable healing agent:

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

she will do better on canned food. Purina dry causes allergies.

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,