nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

He has yellow pus in his ears and it has a bad odor. hes had

Customer Question

He has yellow pus in his ears and it has a bad odor. hes had recurrent ear infections that the vet says its yeast but the drops weve been doing are not working and now its worse than ever. He wont even let me clean them without him having a fit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sully, 14 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sully?
Customer: i dont think so
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What tests has your vet done?

What drops are being used?

Are the ear canals now swollen?

Is he on any pain relief?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My vet has swabbed the ears and tested for ear mites and it was negative.Zymox are the drops I'm using. That cleared it up previously but the infection is back.Yes ear canals are VERY swollen, Im having difficulty getting them cleanedNo pain relief, but hoping to get him some relief by Tuesday when I can take him back to the vet
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Can you just tell me was the swab only for them to check mites in the practice?

Or did they send it to the lab for a culture ?

Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

As well, is he only on Zymox?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no culture was done that I know of. They did mention that it could be yeast. And yes he's only on Zymox currently
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now I am glad that mites were ruled out, but I am concerned to hear that they may not have had a sample cultured. This is so important for chronic recurrent cases (especially since pus in the ears is often a sign of bacterial infection). This is because culture lets us know what bacteria or what yeast is present, so we actually know what we are treating. And the lab doing this test for us will do a sensitivity, where they check what antibiotics the microorganism is sensitive to. This just takes out the guess work and allows us to target treatment and clear infections properly for our pets. So, if his vet didn't do this, this would be our best next step.

As well, I am concerned that he is only on Zymox. There are a few different preparations but most of these are non-specific “anti-microbial” treatments. Some also have steroids which is great for reducing ear inflammation but isn’t going to help the immune system fight this off. So again a culture is ideal and based on those results your vet can choose a more appropriate and targeted treatment for his ears. Or since they are so very sore, you could discuss using systemic/oral treatment to treat his ears from the inside out and save you from having to wrestle him. Of course, whichever option we take, we'd want them to start cat safe pain relief to help reduce ear swelling but also get poor Sully comfortable and pain-free as we clear this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )