Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Left upper lid is drooping, not eating and sleeping a lot.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Taz (name) and he is 13 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about )?
Customer: Fine until a visit to my son who also has cats. They did not meet. About a week ago he was fine.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist with your question about Taz.

I'm so sorry he's not feeling well.

So that I can assist you better, I hope you don't mind answering a few questions about the situation:

For how many days has Taz not eaten?

Is he drinking and using the litterbox?

Does he seem to be in pain anywhere on his body?

When you visited your son and his cats, were you aware if any of the cats had any illnesses?

Is Taz rubbing at his drooping eyelid?

Does the left eye look irritated, red inside, or have any discharge?

Thanks for all your additional information and after your reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your answer.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I was hoping to hear back from you with some additional information, but I can answer your question now, and then if you need any further information, just reply back and I will be glad to continue.

Taz's drooping eyelid may be caused by a variety of conditions; he could have an eye infection or a scratched cornea and it hurts him to open his eye all the way. This symptom can also indicate a stroke, which is not as common in cats as it is in dogs, but still, he's a senior kitty, and this is possible.

The fact that he's not interested in eating and is sleeping a lot, could be due to many medical conditions to which older cats are more prone, like diabetes, kidney failure, a liver or thyroid issue. When a cat doesn't want to eat, this indicates illness or something is wrong, which must be addressed, quickly.

When a cat doesn't eat or doesn't eat properly, for even a short period of time, he risks developing a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis. The only way to treat this is to get him to eat again.

Due to his age and symptoms, it would be advisable to have Taz seen, as soon as possible, by a vet, for an in-person evaluation, some blood work, and then a diagnosis will be made and the most appropriate treatment will be prescribed.

I hope you can get Taz seen, right away, and all will be well!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?