Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cat ate part of a 20 mg tablet of methylphenidate, Puff 3

Customer Question

My cat ate part of a 20 mg tablet of methylphenidate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Puff 3 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Puff?
Customer: He is agitated now
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Intoxication with amphetamine-like drugs such as methylphenidate can be quite serious in our dogs and cats. In general, it takes just 0.25 mg/lb of these drugs to cause agitation and 1-2 mg/lb can result in seizures and coma. May I have an update on Puff please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?