Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat seems to be having difficulty breathing. Her stomach

Customer Question

My cat seems to be having difficulty breathing. Her stomach down by her back legs is moving in and out rapidly. I have taken her to her vet and they thought it might be a fungal infection or it could be cancer. Tests show that it is not fungal. I took her to a specialist to have an untrasound. Nothing is seen that says anything. After 1500.00 neither of the vets knows what's wrong and have sort of left me hanging with no treatment for her. She secludes herself but does come out and lays around in the late afternoon. She is eating and drinking. She has been gagging a lot like she needs to get a hairball up. Nothing comes up. Would a severe hairball cause any of this? I am at a loss. Her old vet is gone but I am sure he would have found something. He always did and never pushed me aside..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: My cat seems to be having difficulty breathing. Her stomach down by her back legs is moving in and out rapidly. I have taken her to her vet and they thought it might be a fungal infection or it could be cancer. Tests show that it is not fungal. I took her to a specialist to have an untrasound. Nothing is seen that says anything. After 1500.00 neither of the vets knows what's wrong and have sort of left me hanging with no treatment for her. She secludes herself but does come out and lays around in the late afternoon. She is eating and drinking. She has been gagging a lot like she needs to get a hairball up. Nothing comes up. Would a severe hairball cause any of this? I am at a loss. Her old vet is gone but I am sure he would have found something. He always did and never pushed me aside..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: She's 7, long hair, and her name is Baby.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What type of specialist was seen?
2) What part of her body was ultrasounded?
3) Any weightloss?
4) What tests were performed aside from the ultrasound?
5) Is she on any meds at this time?